In addition to writing fiction, I’ve also worked at writing various forms of non-fiction. This page highlights that work and includes some writing samples from each area.
Feel free to take a look at my resume or jump over to my LinkedIn profile.
I’ve done technical writing for IBM, Lenovo, Siebel, NetIQ, and a software start-up called Visitar, to name a few, as well as contract work at Arup, GlaxoSmithKline, and Tech Resource Group. I’ve been at ScienceLogic since 2017. Below are some samples of my technical writing work:
- ScienceLogic Synchronization PowerPack for ServiceNow CMDB (HTML and PDF)
- Introduction to SL1 (HTML and PDF)
- AppManager Control Center Discovery video (YouTube link)
- AppManager for SNMP Traps management guide and video (HTML)
- Skype for Business Overview, for beginners (PDF)
- Cisco Lifecycle and Integration Services booklet (PDF)
- Release Notes for VoIP-integrated software (PDF)
- VoIP-integrated software administrator’s guide (PDF)
- eAuction user guide (PDF)
I have also created extensive online Help systems for standalone user interfaces as well as merged Help for larger, enterprise-level software. Feel free to contact me for additional samples.
As a writer and a (part-time) publisher, I have a strong interest in marketing and finding the best way to attract readers and customers. Plus I like learning how things work and dissecting entrepreneurial trends. Here are some samples:
- Press release: Film Rights Optioned for Graphic Novel IN MAPS & LEGENDS, at the UnWrecked Press website
- Press release: New Mystery Novel Set in the Boone, NC, Area Releases December 9th, 2014 (PDF)
- Press release: Sixth Issue of Groundbreaking Digital Comic IN MAPS & LEGENDS Releases (PDF)
Online Articles and Related Work
- The Hardest Part at the Bull Spec website (writing yourself into a corner, and getting out of that corner)
- Homework Every Day at the Black Gate website (writing stories editors want)
- 10 Tips to Better Productivity at the Black Gate website (how to get your butt in the chair and avoid distractions)
- Trees and Saplings at this website
- Rolling Down the Roads at this website
While I worked as an editor at the Raleigh News & Observer, I also wrote some feature stories for the paper, including the following samples:
- “An Homage to Black Baseball,” a preview of a Negro Leagues exhibit (PDF)
- “This Joke’s For You,” an overview of comedy clubs in the Raleigh area (PDF)
- “The Trip to a New World,” the nuts and bolts of hockey for southerners (PDF)
- “When Talent and Vision Overcome Youth and Inexperience,” a book review (PDF)
Creating Digital Comics
After artist Niki Smith and I completed our nine-issue digital comic In Maps & Legends, we wanted to gather all that we’d learned in the process of creating our graphic novel.
This how-to ebook covers how to assemble your comic, your art book, or other image-heavy book for the two biggest e-readers on the market: Amazon’s Kindle and Barnes & Noble’s Nook.
Formatting Comics for the Kindle and Nook is available from (appropriately) the Kindle ebook store.
Teaching Fiction Writing
I’ve taught live courses as well as online courses focusing on how to write and sell fiction. Here are some sample courses:
Below are just three of the covers I created for ebook and print-on-demand books from UnWrecked Press and elsewhere, which I designed using Photoshop and other tools. (Click a cover for a larger version.)
I’ve created ePubs (used by Nook and Kobo devices), Mobi files (used by Kindle devices), and PDF versions of various novels and non-fiction books.
To view a sample eBook I created, download any of the versions of my novel A Sudden Outbreak of Magic: