In addition to writing fiction, I’ve also worked at writing various forms of non-fiction. This page highlights that work and includes some writing samples from each area.
Website Design and Content
I’ve done work for IBM, Lenovo, Siebel, NetIQ, and a software start-up called Visitar, to name a few, as well as contract work at Arup, GlaxoSmithKline, and Tech Resource Group. Below are some samples of my technical writing work:
- AppManager Control Center Discovery video (YouTube link)
- AppManager for SNMP Traps management guide and video (HTML)
- Skype for Business Overview, for beginners (PDF)
- Cisco Lifecycle and Integration Services booklet (PDF)
- Release Notes for VoIP-integrated software (PDF)
- VoIP-integrated software administrator’s guide (PDF)
- eAuction user guide (PDF)
I have also created extensive online Help systems for standalone user interfaces as well as merged Help for larger, enterprise-level software. Feel free to contact me for additional samples.
As a writer and a (part-time) publisher, I have a strong interest in marketing and finding the best way to attract readers and customers. Plus I like learning how things work and dissecting entrepreneurial trends. Here are some samples:
- Email marketing newsletters for UnWrecked Press, since 2013
- Press release: New Mystery Novel Set in the Boone, NC, Area Releases December 9th, 2014 (PDF)
- Press release: Sixth Issue of Groundbreaking Digital Comic IN MAPS & LEGENDS Releases (PDF)
Online Articles and Related Work
- The Hardest Part at the Bull Spec website (writing yourself into a corner, and getting out of that corner)
- Homework Every Day at the Black Gate website (writing stories editors want)
- 10 Tips to Better Productivity at the Black Gate website (how to get your butt in the chair and avoid distractions)
- Trees and Saplings at this website
- Rolling Down the Roads at this website
While I worked as an editor at the Raleigh News & Observer, I also wrote some feature stories for the paper, including the following samples:
- “An Homage to Black Baseball,” a preview of a Negro Leagues exhibit (PDF)
- “This Joke’s For You,” an overview of comedy clubs in the Raleigh area (PDF)
- “The Trip to a New World,” the nuts and bolts of hockey for southerners (PDF)
- “When Talent and Vision Overcome Youth and Inexperience,” a book review (PDF)
Creating Digital Comics
After artist Niki Smith and I completed our nine-issue digital comic In Maps & Legends, we wanted to gather all that we’d learned in the process of creating our graphic novel. This how-to ebook covers how to assemble your comic, your art book, or other image-heavy book for the two biggest e-readers on the market: Amazon’s Kindle and Barnes & Noble’s Nook.
Teaching Fiction Writing
I’ve taught live courses as well as online courses focusing on how to write and sell fiction. Here are some sample courses:
Below are just three of the covers I created for ebook and print-on-demand books from UnWrecked Press and elsewhere, which I designed using Photoshop and other tools. (Click a cover for a larger version.)
I’ve created ePubs (used by Nook and Kobo devices), Mobi files (used by Kindle devices), and PDF versions of various novels and non-fiction books.
To view a sample eBook I created, download any of the versions of my novel A Sudden Outbreak of Magic: