In this series of blog entries, I post articles about all sorts of topics related to Dungeons & Dragons, including how to get started, which sites have the best info, and how to be the best DM (Dungeon Master) and PC (player character) you can be.
Also, because I usually play D&D with my kids, my focus is on making sure kids (and other new players) enjoy the game right off the bat.
A Little History
- We’re going on an adventure! (read this first!)
- What is D&D?
- What kids can learn from playing D&D
- Tell me more about this D&D resurgence…
How to Play Dungeons & Dragons
- Getting started, and what you need
- Explaining D&D to new players
- Creating characters
- Our (first) characters!
- Some more of our characters
- Resources for learning D&D fast!
- Playing Dungeons & Dragons with kids
- Your first time playing (as a Player Character)
- Your first time playing (as a Dungeon Master)
- What’s behind that DM screen, anyway?
- Dice. Those wonderful, terrible dice.
- One-shots and campaigns
- Prepping for a HUGE Campaign
Adventure Reviews and Reports
- The Lost Mine of Phandelver (our Adventure Report)
- Tower of the Mad Mage (our Adventure Report)
- Wizard in a Bottle (our Adventure Report)
- Temple of the Nightbringers (our Adventure Report)
- Troll Trouble (our Adventure Report)
- The Goblin Grail Gang (our Adventure Report and review)
- The Secret of Skyhold Tower (our Adventure Report)
- Storm King’s Thunder
- Session 0
- Session 1
- Session 2
- Session 3
- Session 4
- Session 5
- Session 5.5
- Session 6
- Session 7
- Sessions 8 -13 (“Forge of Fury” side-trek)
- Session 14 (On the Road to Triboar (After the Forge))
- Session 15-16 (“The Skull of Drag’Nalar” play-test/side-trek)
- Session 17-?? (“White Plume Mountain” side-trek)
Other Fun Stuff and External Links
- The Official Dungeons & Dragons website
- Scriv the Bard: another D&D blogger, with great tips for all ages
- Power Score RPG Index: a phenomenal resource, especially for published D&D adventures and many, many fantastic how-to articles
- Dungeon Master Daily: sign up for daily D&D tips, or read the archive
- Handbooker Helper: short and fun how-to videos from the Critical Role folks
- The Dungeoncast Podcast: Lots of “deep dives” about the game, occasional f-bombs
- Dungeons & Dragons Online: Compiles online resources for the MMORPG video game Dungeons and Dragons Online (DDO)
- #DnDadjokes: D&D-related Dad Jokes (think bad puns and “groaners”)
- Dad (5e Class): I had to share this!
Thanks for reading! If you’re enjoying this blog, feel free to take a look at my books at Amazon. If something I wrote here improved your gaming experience or you just want to say thanks, buy a book or two!
3 thoughts on “D&D Dad!”
Feel free to leave any questions or comments here! Are there any topics in the list you’d like to see sooner than later? Any topics not in my list that you’d like me to explore? Let me know. Thanks!
LikeLiked by 1 person
Thanks so much for all this amazing fun and information you’ve provided for my 10 year old who has just started a DnD club.
LikeLiked by 1 person
You’re welcome! I’m glad it helped. 🙂