Kaitlin Grayson considers herself just an artist until she gets recruited by a strange man named Bartamus, who shows up at her place in the middle of the night and demands she use her skills to save his dying world. Soon Kait gets caught between two worlds, and if Bartamus’ world falls, Earth is next — along with untold other worlds.
The comic won the November 2009 competition hosted by DC Comics imprint Zuda Comics, and it ran on a weekly basis in 2010 until Zuda closed down. We re-launched the comic on September 1st, 2010, and the final issue (#9), went live on October 5th, 2011.
Get the Backstory
Kaitlin Grayson, a freelance illustrator and mapmaker for fat fantasy novel, finds herself driven by some strange compulsion to create a mixed-media map of a place she’s never been. A map that covers all four walls of the window-less spare room she keeps locked next to her tiny bedroom. She doesn’t know where the inspiration for the map comes from, but she can’t stop herself from carving up the walls for her map.
One cold night while Kait is finishing her map, a disheveled man named Bartamus bursts into her apartment, claiming that only she can save his dying world.
For Kait, things like this happen in the books she illustrates so often, she feels like she knows what will happen next. But she couldn’t be more wrong when she steps through her map and charges headlong into another world — a world that desperately needs her.
Buy the Book (Includes All 9 Issues)
- Buy an ebook directly from UnWrecked Press (60 MB PDF).
- Digital versions also available at Amazon, Comixology, DriveThruComics, eManga, Graphicly, iTunes, MyDigitalComics, and Weightless Books.
Read a Related Story
You can also read a short story that works as a prequel to the events of In Maps & Legends: “In the Process of Disappearing.”
“So that’s it? You’re just ending it like that? At a freakin’ Hardees, Kait?”
Looking down at her tray of cooling fries and the untouched chicken sandwich , along with the wreckage of greasy papers and cardboard strewn across Jeremy’s tray, not to mention Jeremy himself—his shocked face growing red across from her—Kait realized that this was all a really, really bad idea.
But when do you ever have a roadmap for breaking up with someone?
- Available as an ebook at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBookstore, and Smashwords.
- Also available as the five-story ebook bundle “Contemporary Fantasy Five-Pack” (save $2 off buying the stories individually!) at Amazon, Barnes & Noble, iBookstore, and Smashwords.
- First published as part of Free Fiction Friday, UnWrecked Press, October 2011.